Rare Solnhofen Amia Fish - Solnhofenamia elongata
- Gorgeous example of an extremely rare fish from the famed Solnhofen Limestone. The matrix has fantastic natural dendrites that encircle the specimen.
- Solnhofenamia elongata (Amia / Bowfin)
- Age: Jurassic, 150 million years old
- Locality: Hoernsheim, Germany
- Matrix measures 40” x 20.5”
- Specimen measures 19”
- Backed for wall hanging with a sturdy cleat system.
The Solnhofen Limestone encompasses what was once a network of placid lagoons during the Jurassic Period in Bavaria, Germany. Among the famous and rare discoveries here include archaeopteryx and pterosaurs. The preservation in this deposit is so remarkable that fossils of soft-bodied organisms like jellyfish and squid have been found!