Rare Fossil Fish from Holzmaden - Dapedium - 18.9 inches
This breathtaking fossil fish is a spectacular find from the Holzmaden Shale near Stuttgart, Germany, a fossil locale renowned for its incredibly preserved specimens. This prehistoric ray-finned fish inhabited warm Jurassic seas that teemed with a variety of ammonites, ichthyosaurs, crinoids (sea lilies) and many fish species.
It truly belongs to the upper echelon of fine fossils and would be the focal point of any home or public setting.
Considerable time and skill was needed to reveal this specimen from the matrix - meticulous, specialized labour in a state of the art German laboratory.
- Species: Dapedium sp.
- Formation: Posidonia Shale
- Location: Holzmaden, Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany
- Age: Lower Jurassic, approximately 182 million years old
- Specimen measures approximately 48 cm (18.9 inches), plate measures approximately 105 cm x 65 cm x 3 cm (41" x 25.5" x 1.2")
- Weighs 38 kg (84 lbs)
- Certificate of authenticity included
- No Restoration
- Preparation notes: The fish was discovered when sawing a plate
Please inquire about shipping. We will arrange the best possible method.