Ask For Price
Huge Crinoid Fossil - Seirocrinus subangularis
This stunning crinoid fossil, also known as a sea lily, is from the Holzmaden Shale in Germany, which boasts some of the best-preserved fossils ever documented. It is a testament to the beauty and intricacy of prehistoric life. The staggering size, immaculate preservation and striking aesthetics make it a world class piece.
Crinoids are among the rarer types of fossils from the Holzmaden area and a specimen of this size and quality is exceedingly unique. The feathery crown spans 20.8 inches across and the jagged shale slab measures 5.48 feet high. Pyrite is evident at the outer areas of the crown and the majority of the specimen is has been replaced with calcite.
The light calcite and soft, flowing features of the crinoid stand out in contrast to the dark, angular slab in which it is embedded; this creates a pleasing aesthetic balance and sense of drama. Furthermore, the presence of belemnites (squid relatives) hints at the diverse ecology of the warm Jurassic seas that teemed with marine reptiles like ichthyosaurs, a variety of ammonites and many fish species. Although they resemble plants, crinoids are in fact filter-feeding invertebrates related to starfish and sea urchins. Interestingly, crinoids are considered living fossils - about 600 species inhabit today's oceans, many of which have vibrant coloration.
Lately, marine fossils have been trending as showcase pieces in home interiors and crinoids in particular are sought after by fine art enthusiasts, designers and architects. Specimens of a high calibre generally do very well at auction and are considered ideal investment fossils.
- Species: Seirocrinus subangularis
- Formation: Posidonia Shale
- Location: Holzmaden, Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany
- Age: Lower Jurassic (approximately 180 million years old)
- Matrix measures 167 cm / 5.48 feet x 103 cm / 3.38 feet and the crown of the specimen is approximately 53 cm wide / 20.85 inches.
- Weighs approximately 90 kg / 198 lbs
- Certificate of authenticity included
- Inset into shale slab from same layer
- Easily hung on a wall - includes steel frame and hanging moulds.
Fireplace Image - Copyright: skdesign / 123RF Stock Photo