Fossil Tortoise On Matrix , South Dakota
$700.00 USD $450.00 USD
- This is a beautifully preserved tortoise fossil of
- . It slowly plodded over the temperate area of South Dakota about 30 million years ago in an area known as the White River Badlands of South Dakota. Today the badlands are a series of highly eroded hills and gullies of light colored sedimentary layers.
- was the first species of fossil tortoise to be discovered and described in North America.
- Dimensions: 5.5 inches, 14 cm (length) x 5 inches, 13 cm (width) (heigh on the matrix) 4.75 inches, 12 cm. Weight = 5 lb 11 oz. or 2585 grams. Minimal restoration – less than five percent.
- Name: Stylemys nebrascensis
Geologic Age: Oligocene (30-35 Million Years Old)
Locale: Brule Formation, White River Badlands Group, South Dakota