Fossil Dragonfly from Solnhofen, Germany - 3.1 inches
This piece has been sold, but we may have a similar item available. Contact us online to make an inquiry.
- Gorgeous fossil dragonfly with exquisite preservation ; beautiful dendrites
- Species: Tarsophlebia eximia
- Age: Upper Jurassic, Tithonian (150.8 million to 145.5 million years ago)
- Locality: Solnhofen layers, Malm zeta 2, Eichstatt, Bavaria, Germany.
- Matrix measures 9.5” x 7.25” x 0.75” ; Specimen measures 3.1" x 2.6"
- Weighs 3.96 lbs lbs
The Solnhofen Limestone encompasses what was once a network of placid lagoons during the Jurassic Period in Bavaria, Germany. Among the famous and rare discoveries here include archaeopteryx and pterosaurs. The preservation in this deposit is so remarkable that fossils of soft-bodied organisms like jellyfish and squid have been found!