Fossil Dragonfly from Solnhofen - 3.5 inches
- Gorgeous fossil dragonfly with exquisite preservation
- Species: Stenophlebia sp.
- Age: Upper Jurassic, Tithonian (150.8 million to 145.5 million years ago)
- Locality: Solnhofen layers, Malm zeta 2, Eichstatt, Bavaria, Germany.
- Matrix measures 10 5/8" x 7 3/16" ; Specimen measures 3.5" (wingspan)
- Weighs 848 grams
The Solnhofen Limestone encompasses what was once a network of placid lagoons during the Jurassic Period in Bavaria, Germany. Among the famous and rare discoveries here include archaeopteryx and pterosaurs. The preservation in this deposit is so remarkable that fossils of soft-bodied organisms like jellyfish and squid have been found!