Marine Crocodile Skull and Partial Skeleton - Steneosaurus bollensis
This breathtaking crocodile skull and partial skeleton is a spectacular find from the Holzmaden Shale near Stuttgart, Germany, a fossil locale renowned for its incredibly preserved specimens. This marine predator once inhabited warm Jurassic seas that teemed with a variety of ammonites, ichthyosaurs, crinoids (sea lilies) and many fish species.
It truly belongs to the upper echelon of fine fossils and would be the focal point of any home or public setting.
Considerable time and skill was needed to reveal this specimen from the matrix - meticulous, specialized labour in a state of the art German laboratory.
- Species: Steneosaurus bollensis
- Formation: Posidonia Shale
- Location: Holzmaden, Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany
- Age: Lower Jurassic, approximately 182 million years old
- Specimen skull measures approximately 58 cm (22.8 inches), plate measures approximately 93 cm x 75 cm x 2 cm (36.6" x 29.5" x 0.8")
- Weighs 20 kg (44 lbs)
- Certificate of authenticity included
- No Restoration
- Preparation notes: original fossil with no manipulation. Original slate matrix attached and glued.
Available for pick up in Germany or shipping to Europe only.
Artist's reconstruction of Steneosaurus Credit: Nobu Tamura